Random ramblings, recipes and whatever have you of a commis.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Too Many Cooks Spoiled The Broth.

A classic case.

I just started working at a catering company, and the owners now know that they are ready to open a restaurant. I was hired as one of the sous chefs. We are three. I thought it would be fun to be part of growing company such as this. It would be fun to be a part of the developement of a restaurant. My bosses are fun and are always open to our ideas. There is just one problem. The other sous chef.

He's okay. I believe that he has enough skills. But I do not know how far along he is to actually serving fine food. He has a mediocre complex. I've caught him so many times making that mediocre decision of "pwede na". Which I do not like. I for one am a proud cook. I'm proud of my food because I put my heart into preparing it. And I don't want my customers to say that my food is mediocre. Also, this cook is very close-minded. He never listens to my ideas, whenever I voiced any out. He always insists that his is the best idea.

Examples:
1. He wants 3 dishwashing stations for a 140 sq meter restaurant (minus the deli area so probably 100 sq meters) which only sits at most 40 people at a time. And when I objected it he said that I do not want to entertain his idea. OF COURSE! Having an architectural background I know for a fact that having 3 dishwashing sinks for the kind of establishment is ridiculous. The extra space can be more utilized.

2. He wants a bain marie for the same 140 sq meter restaurant. HILARIOUS. Does he have a hundred different kinds of soups or sauces to heat up?

3. He wants an upright freezer because he thinks it's such a pain in the ass to stoop over, organize the huge chest freezer we have and dig out the stocks. FYI, you can actually make stocks fresh everyday, if you want. You dont have to store them for days and days.

4. He ordered 3 kgs of basil, 2-3 kgs of celery. And when I told him it was too many, he said that it was okay and that we will use everything. After the saturday market we had 2-2.5 kgs of basil sitting in the chiller to rot. What did he do? Dry them. A sorry solution for what could've been prevented in the first place if only he had enough sense to listen to others. The celery was more forgivable, he was lucky we can make stocks. Come to think of it, where are those dried basil?

In every restaurant I've worked in, I always had an affinity for the place. I take pride on oour products, I take pride in my work and I am concerned for with things like food costs, return of investment and colleagues. And I know that this place can be great. But with someone like him in it. I am not as optimistic as I have been.

No comments: